Voyage to the south with the German-mobile

So now to this :

This last week i was mainly occupied with one thing, a big trip to the south with the Goethe institute, the DAAD and a representative from the German embassy. First things first ( im the realest)  it started on a Sunday morning as I got out of the apartment of the other volunteers 30 minutes earlier since i was planning to go and have a quick meal at the Kantine across the Goethe center, which was the meeting point. Little did i know that after i bought some juice and cookies while carrying my  heavy traveling backpack that the Kantine wouldn’t be open at 8:30 in the morning haha. So i opted for cookies and juice on the steps in front of the meeting point until the rest of the team showed up . So haha after dragging all the materials which we needed for thr trip: Boxes of German books and materials, two banners, and alot of info materials connected with the above mentioned organizations, the van finally came since it was late 15 minutes. Then after packing it up and getting into the back of the van I got aquainted with the representative of the embassy and the DAAD , both very funny and friendly people, we finally hit the road!  After a small talk with my contact person, i found out hat my task was mainly setting up and logistics, like counting the number of participants coming to our events and more.

On our way to our first stop, Yeregnazhor, we were driving on a street pretty parallel to Mount Ararat and it really is always an impressive sight. Then as we drove along the slopes of the slowly hightening landscape towards it, i realized that a little in front of me, a maximum of a dozen kilometer, was thee Turkish border , and i was like „woooaaaah“ haha.


Now after a few hours, we stopped at out first stop which was the small city called Yeregnahzor, there we stopped fist at a small school and so i hopped out of the car and carried the banners and materials with the help of the guy from the embassy inside and set it up. We walked into a room filled with around 40 children, teenagers and teachers and so , after it was all ready, i snapped a few pictures and made my way to a chair in the back and watched as the rest of the team held their talks. After a very poor outcome from the „question round“ , most of the children and teenagers left and the only ones left over where the teachers so we all sat down around a small table and enjoyed some food. I had a coffee and some fruit. That little brunch was the first time i tried “ cornel kirschen “ * in German“ which are oval shaped small pieces of fruit which are very sour but taste lovely, the „gata“, a kin d of baked dessert , was also the best which ive eaten up until now. After we realized that we had to get going, we got 4 bottles of Armenian wine as a present ,which was very nice. After storing that into our already filled van , we walked around the school building up a hill to a faculty of a university focusing on the economy and business. There we did get greeted by the principal but no students haha, reason for that was that all the students came from the surrounding villages and the buses didn’t drive that often on a Sunday and since it was a pretty spontaneous announcement ,sadly no one came haha. That didn’t stop us from looking around a bit and leaving the brought materials and school books there. I saw that the conference&lecture hall was renovated and equipped through the help of the american government and the efforts of the American peace corps stationed in Armenia so that was pretty cool 😀

Well after having dropped that off, we dipped back to the car and left Yeregnazor and headed to our little temporary base camp , the small southern city of Kapan. So after around another 3 Hours of driving through the steps of Armenia and a last push of 45 minutes through high mountains and winding roads and a very sick stomach did we arrive at the small ex-soviet city of Kapan. It was already dark when we arrived so we quickly went up and got our rooms. I was a bit jealous as we where in check in since my co-travelers had a “ Diplomat Passport “ and an “ Official passport“ and I only had a normal ass one haha. Anyways after we unpacked and settled down a bit we went downstairs to the small cafe/bar/restaurant next door and there we got some dinner. Me and Jacob ( the guy from the embassy) both where eyeing a pizza and fries each and when we wanted to order that, the waitress looked at us with big eyes and after some clarification with the owner , we were assured that 1 Pizza would be enough for us both, so we trusted him. The owner was wrong haha. The pizza was tiny so we ordered another one immediately and enjoyed very full bellys that evening. We had a very lovely dinner, very good food, lovely tea and good conversation.

Now to the next day, we had a pretty free first couple of hours since the only item on the plan was setting up and opening a new German corner in the local library. So we first we took a stroll through the city.It w´main strip is separated by a small river which is pretty cool. We walked for around 45  minutes and visited a old soviet swimming pool which wasnt in order anymore but boy was it pretty. Then after walking back down , we went to the modern museum of art in kapan. I wont lie, first when i heard that we are gonna spend our time there i  was like omfg, haha i had like pictures of stupid and easy art in my mind but oh boy was i wrong!. The museum was in a pretty old and run down building but damn was t good.  i really cant describe it haha. Like i was missing some artistic input and inspiration in my life recently but that did it. I was like fulfilled with ideas, inspiration and thoughts about starting my second attempt at a art portfolio for university. I will probably put that into the header on my blog site so you all can maybe even see the process of how it comes to be . Of course the topic of it will be my time in Armenia and Armenian in general. Even though going to the museum was a crazy experience, it was a little sad. There where so many good painting and rolled up canvases just getting covered with dust in a storage room and that really was a little heart breaking thinking about it. Ill try and change that by talking with my contact from the Embassy, he is incharge of kulturall things and he has a budget, maybe we can renovate or atleast get good storage equipment for the stowed away art.



After our little art high, we where invited to a small lunch at the place of the DAAD representative since Kapan was actually her birthplace, so we made our way over from the museum, a 10 minute walk to a old soviet housing complex and 7 flights later we where in a very snuggly , pretty and cozy apartment. Ive noticed , and i shouldn’t always be surprised anymore, but the houses always kinda look rundown, ugly and old from the outside but the apartments are always so well furnished and designed, its crazy haha. So there we met the mother of the Representative, ( whose really beautiful name ive forgot haha xD) who had even prepared some Jingalov ( bread filled with a handful of herbs and melted butter) which I tried for the first time, the cuisine in Armenia never lets down haha lets just say that. So she also dished out some homemade cognac to which i say : absolutely lovely; again . We talked for a while and things took a turn when we kind of turned the topic over to the war between Armenia and Azerbaijan. And since Kapan is very very close to the border it also had its fair share of attacks , bombing raids and experiences ( the map  will show), the mother talked about how it was during the war, about interesting hypothesis why the first coupe of bombing runs over the city always missed,how it was with children in this war zone. It really was a very intimate and trusting atmosphere in the room and ultimately I was very grateful to be able to hear her story’s and thoughts!

So i should really keep this posts short haha. After the lovely lunch we went to the library with all the material and started setting it all up. During our efforts a either drunk or crazy man came up to us and wanted to talk about politics which was interesting. So it took around 2 hours to build it all up , of course no without any mishaps haha. Around 1 hour before the ceremony started we noticed that the huge cake ,which got delivered to us by some local bakery was missing the logo of the Goethe institute, which was a pretty big deal. After discussing how we should cope with the problem we opted for cutting out the logo from flyers wee brought and just pressing them into the cake, and thats what we did and no one complained :).

Now the pictures on the top show how our final result looked like 🙂 including us improvising with the cake haha. So we opened up the “ German corner“ and well I think it was a pretty good success. At the start there where children from all ages, many interested teachers, the town major and some people who actually dont even have anything to do with teaching or learning German but who are willing for a pen relation, for example a older gentleman who introduced himself as an owner of a local puppet theater who wanted to maybe start a partnership with the Goethe centrum. While the start was pretty spectacular, after around 2 hours, coincidentally when most of the buffet was eaten up, the people slowly started to disperse and the left overs where really just people who really where invested. So my team held their 3 presentations while i was sneaking around and taking pictures and it took such a long time haha. But about 3 hours and many questions later, we had finally closed the event and tiredly made out way out of the building. After that we enjoyed a lovely dinner where we had a bunch of laughs. And that ended Day 2

Now to third and final day, this was the day I was looking forward too the most since i heard that we will basically going to the border of Iran. So we got into the car and drove off! We drove or about an hour or two and we got to the first stop, The city of Meghri in the very very south of the country. There we visited two schools which taught German and had a small brunch at the second with some of the teachers. Then, we got into our van with some other teachers , which then transported us along the Armenian/ Iraki border to the city of Agarak where we would have our main event. WE got out and of course the guys had to muscle up and carry all the stuff haha. But once at the entrance we already saw the small reception waiting for us, so we made our way there. We got greeted by a lovely traditionally dressed girl who had like a piece of bread , from which you had to rip a piece of out and stick it into a pile of salt, probably a local tradition , and after everyone had their turn we proceeded to go inside and set up.

Again, after the whole presentation and question phase, the crowd dispersed pretty quickly and we where left with teachers again so we went to the library which was in a room next to the hall and we had a lovely buffet  , full of fruits, baked goods and other good stuff. I may have spilled juice and made a mess with the pomegranate haha. Now after talking about educational topics for a while finally decided that it was slowly time to go and before we left, the Employees of the school packed us like a bag full of fruits from the school garden. pomegranates, grapes,apples,and other treats. Overall the pomegranates in that region are supposed to be the best in Armenian. Which is pretty impressive since Armenia is pretty well known for its pomegranates.Now after we arrived back in Kapan we had a dinner i wont forget in a while. WE went to this really big but empty restaurant just 3 minutes of foot walk away and it started off with a good laugh when we sat down and the waitress started to recommend and state things we should maybe get in Armenian and that goes on for a while before Dana ( our Goethe Partner person and my boss) looks over to Jacob and is like so does it sound good? he just responds with “ Is there a menu?“ . Now it was much funnier then then it is now when you all read it.So basically we ordered a very good soup, some grilled vegetables, a salad and horovatz ( the Armenian version of like a BBQ and a shaschlik) and boy did i eat a lot. It was a massacre. Everyone’s plate was filled a bit with crumbs and maybe a bone or two.but mine, no, i had like a pile of bones haha , i probably ate 40% of all the food ordered. It tasted amazing, ill definitely try to go to that restaurant again. Now after some toasts to the important people in the trip and after a good conversation and dinner with out driver vahag we stumbled back home to stomach all the nutrition absorbed, well i did haha.

Now on the next day we packed up again and set course for home. On the way we stopped in Goris to visit the owner of a pretty famous hotel who spoke pretty good German since he wanted to spread the German culture and education in his city, two local German teachers where also present. I was busy playing with the hella cute kitten , if the requests in the comments are so overwhelming, ill post a picture of her too ( or him) But over all that was a pretty short wrap up of the trip to the south. I made lovely acquaintances and friends and had fun with each one of the team members. Its a trip i really didn’t expect to have this early and i just want to thank everyone <3

This was our Journey

Insider jokes our little group ha during the trip :

1. Meghri not knowing anything about Armenia, despite being Armenian,

2.Ordering exactly 5 pelmeni

3.Our driver Vahag doing anything just not to sit with us and eat and drink.

Schreibe einen Kommentar

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind mit * markiert.